Monday, March 28, 2011

Easy Mix Chocolate Cake

Here's my amazing chocolate cake recipe. This cake is very dense. I promise you won't be disappointed!

Preheat oven to 360 degrees (Yes, you read that right). I think the weird temperature has something to do with how old this recipe is. More on the story behind this cake later in the post.

Heat Oven to 360
You will need: 1 square 8"x8" pan

Beat all ingredients until blended:
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 teas salt
1/2 cup oil
1 teas baking soda
1/2 cup sour milk (1 Tblsp vinegar or lemon juice in 1/2 cup & fill rest with milk)
1 egg
1 teas vanilla

Add 1/2 cup boiling water & mix

Pour into ungreased pan
Bake approximately 30 min
Done if knife in middle comes out clean

*If you double the ingredients, it makes a huge rectangle cake & some cupcakes, or a 2-layer cake and some cupcakes.

Enjoy!

The story behind the cake:
In my last post, I showed a picture of this cake all frosted and decorated. I also mentioned that the cake was very old. My maternal great grandparents had a friend, Blanche Jordan. Blanche lived in the Okanogan Valley near Brewster, WA. She was a huge woman and obviously loved to bake. LOL! We think she grew up in Coolee Dam,WA. She must have baked this cake for her family in the 1920-30's.

The Okanogan Valley is a place my family loved to take vacations growing up. My mom's parents had a cabin on Alta Lake, about 60 min North of Wenatachee. The cabin was built in the early 1970's and my g'parents owned the property years before that. Instead of taking long expensive family vacations, our family would hop in the car and head up to Alta Lake during the summer. What an amazing place! We would fish, swim, sunbathe, and play outside for hours. Being at "the cabin" is definitely one of my favorite childhood memories.

The cabin is still there to this day and just last year, Juan and I made it up there the end of September. It was quite a bit cooler than mid summer, but we still had a great time. We hope to get there more in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment