Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pretty in Pink Birthday Cake

This year, Juan and I hosted a Superbowl party. We invited friends and co-workers, one of who just happened to be turning 60! I wanted to surprise her with a homemade chocolate cake. The cake actually has a 1/2 cup boiling water in the batter, and is VERY dense. I topped the cake with white butter frosting. There's nothing better than cake and frosting made from scratch. The cake recipe is ancient; from my Great Grandparents' friend, Blanche Jordan. Blanche lived near Brewster, possibly growing up in Coulee Dam, WA. I am going to ask my grandma more details on when and where this recipe originated.

I have a lot of recipes that have been handed down in the family, which makes the food I create special. I love how there's a story behind many of the dishes. I will blog as much as I know about each of the recipes. My mom's mom, Lois Grable, is a wonderful cook and much of what I make comes from this side of my family.

I will post the recipe in my next blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment