Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Our New Favorite Dessert~Strawberry Apple Rhubarb Crumble

I made this dessert last weekend mainly because we have rhubarb ready to pick in our backyard. At first I was going to make a strawberry rhubarb pie but didn't feel like dealing with pie crust. So I did what we do when we need an answer; I googled "strawberry rhubarb crumble." This recipe is easy and really good. We added Tillamook Vanilla Bean ice cream and we were instantly hooked. I didn't feel as guilty either because it has fruit in it.

Today, I'm making strawberry rhubarb upside down cake for Juan. That recipe may also end up on here. ;)

Thank you Cooks.com!

3 c. sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2 inch pieces)
1 c. peeled and cubed apples ( I used almost an entire large apple)
1/2-1 c. sliced strawberries (I used 1 heaping cup of strawberries)
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. butter
2/3 c. packed brown sugar
2/3 c. quick-cooking oats

Combine rhubarb, apples and strawberries; spoon into a greased 8 inch dish. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in brown sugar and oats. Sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm or cold with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 6-8 servings.
*Note: I don't know about you but the way we eat dessert, it will only serve 4. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment