Sunday, May 15, 2011

Out of Commission Lately




I've been on "baking and cooking leave" lately due to a broken finger. It's been hard to not do much, especially cooking. Despite this, it's amazing what all I can do with a hurt finger. I had surgery to repair the break a few weeks ago and now have six screws and a plate in my pinky. The finger is doing a lot better now but it's still supposed to be in a splint most of the day.

Last week, I decided to make homemade french fries with Yukon Gold Potatoes. I was tired of not cooking and decided my hand was ready to handle it. A coworker had told me how easy and good they were. Plus, Juan wanted to BBQ hamburgers so it was perfect. Just as I started cutting the potatoes, I cut a finger on my left hand. I immediately grabbed a papertowel and put pressure on the bleeding fingertip. I looked down and saw that I had taken a huge chunk out of my index finger. Crap! Juan wasn't home from work yet and I knew I'd better get it looked at. I drove to the medical center and the papertowel was now stuck in the wound. Even moving it a centimeter hurt like crazy. This was hurting way more than my broken finger. Weird! The finger was filled with gelfoam to stop the bleeding and wrapped.

Now, I had a badly cut finger on my left hand and a swollen and sore post-surgery pinky on my right hand. I started to think I was a walking accident. So much for using knvies to cut potatoes. ;(

I knew I couldn't not bake or cook for long. Juan helped me make carrot pineapple muffins today and I'm slowly ready to start making food again. I'm just going to be extra careful with the knives...

1 comment: